Mad Cave Gatchaman Comic Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed!)

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Mad Cave Gatchaman Comic Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed!)

Hi all!

I thought I'd add this section for anyone who has thoughts and comments about any of Mad Cave's various Gatchaman comic titles. I thought I would make it inclusive of "spoilers," so be wary if you're not caught up on content.
Stardust

Re: Mad Cave Gatchaman Comic Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed!)

I am so glad you started this! Needed a place to geek about it. I am super psyched about all of it, but especially that they are actually giving Katse a one shot.
I think Chris did a real good job on the art, his style while keeping in the spirit of the show.
tatsunokofan

Hi Everyone,

Just a few comments. I appreciated how Chris Batista put in the effort to get details correct -- things like the layout of the God Phoenix's Command Room, for example. That kind of thing is appreciated by fans. The story? Well, it felt a lot like reading a comic version of the first 20 minutes of the live action Gatchaman movie, since the basic ideas were so similar. Comparing this to the preview pages from this story, I see that they changed the name of G-2 from "Jo" to "Joe." Apparently they were so eager to add an "e" to names that they decided give one to "Berge" Katse. And I see that we can't even get to the official first issue of the comic without them falling into the "second team" trope. *Sigh*

The second story was fine -- not spectacular, not really good or bad, just fine. Maybe it was the art style. David Hansen is a talented illustrator, but it's just not a style that appeals to my personal tastes. I'm probably in the minority on that. I still want to know when the G-1 got machine guns. I must have missed that episode...

The third story, well, I might have liked it more if the ending wasn't telegraphed from the beginning. Was anyone surprised by anything that happened here? I know they only had six pages to work with, but the story felt formulaic and lazy. Kath Lobo's art was nice, however.

The full page ad for Gatchaman on HiDive was a welcome inclusion. I hope that it will encourage more people to check out the original. And I appreciated the chart of their release schedule.

Like I said, just a few comments. Nothing too in-depth. What did the rest of you think?

James
Stardust

tatsunokofan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:39 pm
The second story was fine -- not spectacular, not really good or bad, just fine. Maybe it was the art style. David Hansen is a talented illustrator, but it's just not a style that appeals to my personal tastes. I'm probably in the minority on that. I still want to know when the G-1 got machine guns. I must have missed that episode...

Don't feel lonely, it's not an art style I enjoy either.
As for the rest of it, I say give it a chance. I've talked to Chris personally and he's given me some insight on the storyline. He's a die hard fan and let's not forget Tatsunoku is guiding this one as well.
SparklingNeon

I finally got the chance to read it all. Pretty much set-up for what's going to unfold, but something to wonder about what they'll do with that one "second team" plot thread-- hopefully something better or not as drastic as what would have happened long ago in implications with Top Cow, hah...I do wonder if the designs were based off anything in particular or not.

When I was re-listening to the Edwards podcast, he made note of how there will be a lot of newly-created characters and that one's going to feature in another mini-series further out there (and that there will also be some sort of Red Impulse story down the line). That apparently some characters could be seen as "early versions" of ones that appear in-series, and others may be characters we thought died in an episode. It makes me more curious if there will be some kind of guide as to where the issues fall within the original series, since there's the point that they were only given the 105 to work within and between.
With Tatsunoko overseeing it and approving what goes in or doesn't, I guess we have to see what kind of material unfolds and if it feels in the spirit.
Bobkat

Here are my thoughts that I wrote for the BotP Mailing List for Issue #1 and Ken Deathmatch. :D

I got my comics via download from Mad Cave because along with the pre-orders, I got the digital subscription, so that might be an option for people.

Issue #1 - Overall, I liked it. The art was good and most importantly, the Ninja Team *looked* like the Ninja Team and *ACTED* like the Ninja Team. When we got the glimpse of a second team in the Free Comic, I will be frank - I was ticked. It was shades of the Top Cow disaster all over again. However, seeing how they were used in Issue #1, I am much more comfortable with their addition.

I did have a bit of an inside scoop on the multiple teams in talking to someone who had worked directly with Mad Cave on Free Comic Book Day. Nottingham #3 was written by Sabs Cooper and it's worth reading. She's the assistant manager at Pegasus Books in Bend, OR. She said from a reader standpoint, the additional teams are about adding events and ratcheting the tension. Issue #1 has proven that, thankfully.

I also like the fact that Beta Team is still in training and still not close to the skills of the team we know and love. I appreciate there are other teams in training too and the Ninjas took them out with some ease. Now, we have the team established as stealthy and excellent at their jobs. When Dr. Nambu stops the exercise, notice that Jinpei is the first to protest in the way only he can. As well, there is mutual respect between the teams and there's some tension added with Mara and Ken flirting and Jun not being one bit happy about it. I liked this as well.

Then the call comes in for the Venus Flytrap mecha tearing up the city. I actually enjoyed the fact that the mecha caught the God Phoenix and is using it to cause destruction and mayhem. We may not have seen that in the series as exacting as the comic but the team faced some tough times with Katse and the Galactor Organization in certain eps.

I would give Issue #1 a grade of B+ only because I want to manage expectations. But so far, Mad Cave is doing a good job with this license. If Top Cow put forth even a fraction of the effort Mad Cave has shown, perhaps we would still have an active BotP comic.

Ken Deathmatch: I liked the story in this one. It was nice to see the characters "undercover" and somewhat relaxed yet on guard. That's not an easy needle to thread. Ken was impressive as a competitor and when his companion died, he made a promise to her to tell her master that she regained her honor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ken do this kind of thing throughout the series? I distinctly recall Mark doing that kind of thing a lot in BotP, but that could be my memories messing with me.

What I didn't like so much is Mindy Lee's designs of the team members. I know each artist has their own style, I'm not a fan of hers. They're not bad, just not my cup of tea.

On a positive note, the team was acting like the team and willing to go to the ends of the Earth to rescue their leader.

A final note, I'm looking forward to the future issues because Mad Cave left me with wanting more of what they had to offer. That's the whole point - to sell more comics. There's adventures left to be had and I don't want to miss them!
Stardust

My review on the Galactor number 1

I like how the character development for both Leader X and Katse was handled. I got a real feel for the narcissist that Leader is and how Katse is co-dependent upon it. Katse is a narc as well, his need to build himself up in his mind, to remind himself of his purpose. There is some victimology at play here too.
What I didn't enjoy was the [SPOILER INCOMING] poison trope. I figured the way he would best the poison was because he was a mutant, or he would change. Instead we went to the "I built my resistance to poison up over time" like do I hear Inconceivable? Hello Princess Bride and Apothacery Diaries. Everything else about it was great, how the discovery was made, how the individual responsible played the long game.
Kath Lobo's art was gorgeous, her color choices were well done.
I really enjoyed this chance to get another perspective on my favorite villain's inner workings.

Ken Deathmatch
I have to agree with Bobkat, the team's ideology and purpose were absolutely there.
I loved the fact that they used Katse's colors to clue you in that the girl was Katse in disguise. A technique they used on the show, their female form always wore purple and red.
Unfortunately artwise, it's not a style I like, but that's okay, I still enjoyed it.
KT1972

As of time of writing, I haven't managed to read Ken deathmatch yet, bit my comic book store has it ordered for me.

The Gatchaman story, I like. I think it's kind of inevitable that Nambu would eventually want to find and train replacements for the team, and what better way to put them through their paces than against the originals themselves? Looking forward to seeing where they take this story.

Galactor: I'm not sure if I'm meant to feel sympathy for Berg Katze. I've spent my whole life wanting the team to defeat him once and for all, so when an outside source try to assassinate him I don't know if I'm supposed to be outraged or overjoyed ( if that makes any sense). Anyway, I will see as the story continues.

I should be getting my copy of Ken Deathmatch in a little over a week, so I will post my opinion then.
Stardust

KT1972 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:36 am
Galactor: I'm not sure if I'm meant to feel sympathy for Berg Katze. I've spent my whole life wanting the team to defeat him once and for all, so when an outside source try to assassinate him I don't know if I'm supposed to be outraged or overjoyed ( if that makes any sense). Anyway, I will see as the story continues.

I should be getting my copy of Ken Deathmatch in a little over a week, so I will post my opinion then.
I have been working my way through My Hero Academia and in season 5 they do an arc that's dedicated to the villains of the series. While watching it, it got me thinking to about what you said, KT, in regard to this quote.
While I do want to see the main villain defeated, and I don't like him, I did get an insight on him and the other villains backstories. What it did give me was a different perspective and why they went down the path they did.
I believe that is the purpose of the Galactor book, it's an opportunity to see it from a different perspective. An opportunity to see how the other side lives, adding to the world building of Gatchaman.